Saturday, November 25, 2006

Musings about the week that was

So sorry for the looong absence, but it has been a very hectic week. You see, I've been involved with organizing some events for an organization which is the cultural arm of the Italian Embassy. Dante Alighieri di Manila staged a series of events in partnership with Milan art school NABA. The fashion show last night at Podium was the culmination of the Italian language week. The theme of the fashion show was "La Sposa Laica" and showcased bridal wear by Italian designers and the second theme of the collection was designed by NABA students. Although the show was supposed to start at 6pm, in usual Filipino (Italian) fashion, the show started FASHIONABLY late, at 8pm. I wasn't sure what to wear so I wore my default color..black. I got there around the time the fashion show was just about to begin. It was pretty interesting to see the creations, but it also made me realize that the crop of talent here in the Philippines could compete in the international arena as well, if only they were given the support by the government and different agencies. I really think we could match the surge of fashion professionals coming from Korea right now. Back in Europe, I was amazed at the number of Korean fashion students and Korean buyers at trade shows. Fashion is BIG business in Korea.

The past week was also another way for me to stay connected with the Italian community here in Manila. I think I will always have that "Italian" part of me, and being involved with Dante is a great way to preserve that. We had one event where FDCP designers and Anna Barbara from NABA had a sort of "interaction" at L'Incontro resto in Bel-Air Makati. One of the pressing issues was how to make the Filipino designer competitive globally when clearly there is no financial support to be depended on other than if you are born to a family that can provide you with the backing you need. It is sad that there is so much talent here in the Philippines that goes to waste or is largely unnoticed. But Anna Barbara was right when she said that you just have to BELIEVE that you can achieve what you want, but there has to be concrete steps to getting there. First of course you MUST put yourself out there and bang on doors if you have to. I think that the challenge is for Filipinos to bravely venture into the unknown and experience all the hardships, but if your dreams are big enough, you WILL make it. This is very encouraging and rings true for everyone I think. I myself am frustrated at the situation of the fashion industry in the Philippines, but I believe that there's something I can contribute to it, and this thought energizes me and tells me to pursue it. I have been fortunate enough to have traveled, met different people, and experience education abroad. I WANT to find a way to contribute and give back in some way. This is the challenge for ALL FIlipinos who have had opportunities in life that other people in this 3rd world country don't have. As the popular adage goes "To whom much is given, much is expected."

xoxo

TFD

1 Comments:

Blogger cd_mfo said...

Hi! MFO here! I'd love to help you out in your quest to do something for the industry! Just let me know if you need a hand!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home